Thursday 6 December 2012

Muncie Girls - Revolution Summer


Well, it's approaching end-of-year list time and so I figured I should get some things written about some of the records that'll probably make my top ten. This EP has been a contender since I picked it up in September; it may only have five songs, but they're some of the catchiest I've heard all year.

I heard a buzz about Muncie Girls long before I saw them (thanks Twitter) and they lived up to that when I finally caught them supporting Lemuria at The Peel. When the EP came out it was impossible to look at the internet without seeing people praise it and I finally picked a copy up after seeing Bangers in The Fighting Cocks. Luckily the record is every bit as great as I'd heard and it's been on pretty heavy rotation since I got it (so much so my girlfriend even noticed how often I've been playing it, and I'm pretty sure she usually tries her best to tune out my music).

All five songs are great, but Feel it Soon and Railroad are possibly my highlights. I was told when I bought it that these guys are only 18/19 years old, which makes me worry about how much I can emphasise with the lyrics despite being nearly ten years older. I'm about a month away from submitting my PhD thesis, so the line "I don't know what I'm going to do and I'm sick of having to decide" in Kasper and Randow seems particularly apt right now. Also, the Scrabble board print/green vinyl on the b-side looks incredible.

I've not written my top-ten records of the year yet (it's too early and a nice task for that week between Christmas and New Year) but I'll spoil the surprise a bit and tell you this EP will definitely make the top ten.


Format: 12", screen-printed b-side, a4 insert
Tracks: 5
Cost: £7 new
Bought: gig
When: 22/09/12
Colour: Transparent green
Etching: none
mp3s: no