Saturday 8 December 2012

The Magnificent - Bad Lucky


When I went into All Ages to buy The Magnificent's LP, the guy behind the counter told me it was "exactly that". I was feeling a bit slow that day so it took a moment to figure out that he was telling that the album was magnificent, but I eventually got it and told him how much I was looking forward to hearing the record. Over the past year I've picked up a handful of splits and 7"s featuring The Magnificent and enjoyed all the songs, but somehow managed to put off buying the record until October. Better late than never I suppose.

Anyway, the guy in All Ages was right, it's a great album. When I wrote about the 7" of 1981 I said it reminded me of very early Manics, a comparison I stand by despite the fact it's probably more that both were influenced by The Clash. It's certainly heavier and faster than those bands generally were (the whole thing plays at 45rpm) and much more gruff. 1990 is possibly my favourite song, and it's nice to hear the full band version after a year of listening Jimmy's solo version on the Chuck Ragan et al split (as it happens, that was one of my favourite songs on that record too; the female backing vocals are the end of this one are spot on). Hold my Drink up High and King of Denim Jackets are highlights too.

Somehow I've only just found out that this is their second album, despite having trawled the Boss Tuneage website when buying some things earlier in the year. It's only a fiver so I might pick it up as an early Christmas present to myself. Also, I still haven't seen The Magnificent live, but hopefully they'll play London before too long.


Format: 12", insert
Tracks: 10
Cost: £11 new
Bought: All Ages, Camden
When: 03/10/12
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: Download code