Sunday 16 December 2012

Turbonegro - Ass Cobra


How the fuck did it take me so long to hear Ass Cobra!? I've been sporadically buying Turbonegro's albums since I saw them seven years ago and I figured I'd heard their peak on Apocalypse Dudes; how could any of their records been better than that instant classic? Ass Cobra does it somehow. I still love Apocalypse Dudes, but Ass Cobra has re-ignited my love for Turbonegro.

Some of the bands greatest songs are on this record. Deathtime, Demin Demon, and Bad Mongo are all perfect examples of Turbonegro's own death-punk genre, and that's just Side 1. In fact, you can drop the "death-" because the whole album is full of great punk songs. I think that's why I like this album more than Apocalypse Dudes - it's way more punk and way less camp (despite Sailor Man). The first album is even more rough around the edges, but Ass Cobra does everything perfectly. The intro to Imorgen Skal Eg Daue might just be one of the greatest intros I've ever heard, and I Got Erection closes the album on another of Turbo's greatest hits.

I picked this album up for a tenner on my second ever trip to All Ages in Camden, and it's proved to be £10 very well spent. Inexplicably, the order of the songs on the vinyl and the tracklisting on the back of the sleeve bare no relation to each other at all. I can't seem to find any reference to this on the internet (Discogs lists 6 versions of the LP, and it appears that I have the Boomba Recs sleeve and the Bliztcore vinyl but with neither a poster nor insert). So, for the sake of posterity, here is the order that the songs play on at least my copy of this record:

Side 1
1) Raggare is a Bunch of Motherfuckers
2) Deathtime
3) Demin Demon
4) Imorgen Skal Eg Daue
5) Turbonegro Hate the Kids
6) Sailor Man
7) Bad Mongo

Side 2
8) Hobbit Motherfuckers
9) Black Rabbit
10) Mobile Home
11) The Midnight NAMBLA
12) Just Flesh
13) A Dazzling Display of Talent
14) I Got Erection

Format: 12"
Tracks: 14
Cost: £10 new
Bought: All Ages, Camden
When: 17/10/12
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: no