Monday 7 January 2013

Talons - Hollow Realm


If I had to try to classify Talons (which I don't have to, but will anyway), I'd put them somewhere between Godspeed and Explosions in the Sky, with songs half the length. It's a cheap comparison, but I think it works. They have some huge songs on Hollow Realm and I enjoy it when I play it. However I don't play it all that often; if I'm working then I like my instrumental post-rock a little less heavy and a little more gentle, and if I'm after some heavy tunes I tend to go for something with lyrics. I've long been of the belief that this is due to my complete lack of musical skills - lyrics are the easiest thing for a non-musician to grasp.

Anyway, it's a good record. The opener St. Mary's Will be the Death of Us All is a great way to start a record and Iris is pretty cool too, but the epic Hollow Depth is the highlight of the album. The whole record feels like a nice step on from their 7" of The Pearl and Manatee (which you can read more about here, along with the story of how I first heard Talons). I picked the LP up in Banquet in January two years ago. In checking that fact, I was quite surprised I'd had it for two whole years given the number of plays it's probably had. Don't get me wrong, I like it, but somehow I don't love it. I can't put my finger on why. Usually I love violins and these guys have two violinists! Thinking about it, it was around that time my ex-girlfriend and I broke up, which puts a largely negative spin on a lot of things, but also on the same trip to Banquet I bought the Kelly Kemp + Bangers + El Morgan + The Arteries split which fast became my favourite 7" of all time and I played to death. No wonder Talons got little time on my turntable. Interestingly, the Decemberists record I also bought that day got equally neglected.

So nothing ground-breaking to say here. If you read this hoping I'd convince you to buy the record, I suspect giving them a listen would be a more productive route. If you love this record feel free to convince me that it's great, and if you're in the band I apologise for not being more excited by your record. It's perfectly good, but it hasn't bowled me over just yet.


Format: 12", insert
Tracks: 8
Cost: £8 new
Bought: Banquet Records
When: 17/01/11
Colour: White
Etching: none
mp3s: Download code.