Tuesday 8 January 2013

The No WTO Combo - Live from the Battle in Seattle


Here is a record I spent quite a while looking for, almost entirely because of the line up. The idea of Krist Novoselic and Kim Thayil playing in the same band definitely appealed to me. By then I hadn't come to dislike Jello Biafra's voice quite so much so I probably considered that a pro too. I think Mary-Ann Hobbs played a song on the Radio One Rock Show around when it came out and I guess I enjoyed it, but it was definitely the Nirvana/Soundgarden connection that kept the record in my mind.

Anyway, years passed (many years, nearly 8 of them) and I eventually found this in Damaged Records in Cardiff for a mere £6, so excitedly took it home to finally hear the whole thing. The problem is that in those nearly 8 years, I'd discovered that Jello Biafra's voice winds me up no end. I have one of the albums he did with the Melvins and I find that equally hard on the ears. Unfortunately the record starts with a sprawling spoken word rant by Jello, in which he makes some perfectly reasonable points if you can get past his voice. The four songs that follow are plenty nice enough, again despite Jello's voice, and make for an interesting listen on their own.

Whilst in 2000 I was at an age where I really should have known a lot more about what was going on in the world than I did, the politics and meaning behind this record are a bit lost on me. Worse still, I'm yet to sit down and read the lengthy essays inside the book (which I'm sure will fill me in greatly). There's no excuse for ignorance, but it's not high on my priorities right now. I have a rough idea of the history and this record is certainly captures the time and place nicely, even though I was neither there nor involved.


Format: 12", 8-page 10" booklet
Tracks: 5
Cost: £6 new
Bought: Damaged Records
When: 16/08/08
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: no