Sunday 31 August 2014

Texas is the Reason - If It's Here When We Get Back It's Ours


The story of me buying this record has far more parts to it than it really ought to. I went into Banqet Records one day and saw the sleeve in amongst the 7"s and decided to buy it. I'd been a fan of Texas is the Reason for quite some time and I was way past due on buying their first 7", but I just hadn't seen it in any shops for a while. When I took it to the counter JT told me that they didn't have it, which seemed strange since I was holding the sleeve. I still don't quite know where the 7" that lived in that sleeve was, but I couldn't buy it that day either way. JT said they were getting some more copies in and that he'd put one aside for me.

A few weeks later I was leaving a pub by the river in Kingston when I bumped into Piers from Banquet who told me he had a "record for me on his desk". He couldn't remember what the record was, but we figured out it was probably the Texas is the Reason 7". I went in a few days later to pick it up but it took ages to find because Piers didn't have a "desk" as such. They eventually found it and I went home with copy #1 of this record.

Copy #2 came in the post one day (I remember the day because I'd slacked off job applications for the day to go to Thorpe Park with a friend). This copy was a gift from my friend Hugh for getting us tickets to see Texas on their reunion tour (and for lending him the money for the tickets). I discovered later that he'd sent me his copy, so we agreed it was probably fair to just give it back to him.

I then ended up with copies of the songs here again on the 20th anniversary reissue of Do You Know Who You Are? Like I said, a far longer story than it needs to be. As for the songs, they're great. The title track is particularly excellent, but given how much I like the LP it's not surprising that I like these songs too.

Format: 7", insert
Tracks: 3
Cost: £6 new
Bought: Banquet Records, Kingston
When: 11/09/12
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: no