Monday 18 August 2014

The Mars Volta - De-Loused in the Comatorium


Expensive vinyl reissues - I wish I could could stop buying them, but I can't. I bought De-Loused in the Comatorium on cd nearly 10 years ago, but when Banquet Records put up the pre-order for the reissue vinyl I jumped at the chance. I'd never seen a copy of De-Loused on vinyl in person, but had seen it change hands for crazy amounts online (I once saw a copy of the very rare 4-vinyl, glow-in-the-dark version of Frances the Mute in a record shop in Melbourne, but it was Au$300 which was, and still is, more than I can justify spending on one record). I'm glad to have this album on vinyl, and £27 is much cheaper than original copies ever go for, but a small part of me feels a little stupid spending that much on an album I have on cd (not to mention knowing how The Mars Volta felt about having their albums re-pressed - I'm pretty sure Hum can sympathise there). However, it's neither the first nor last time I've bought an album on vinyl that I already had on cd, and cost much less than at least one other such album (more on that record another time).

There's no denying that Music On Vinyl have done a pretty lovely job on the reissue - everything feels like money well spent - gold vinyl, glossy gatefold sleeve, picture sleeves, a 24"x24" poster and it's numbered (mine is #446). The artwork was pretty cool before, but it looks so much better here than it does on the cd.

The album itself has long been a favourite of mine. I got into At the Drive-In at the tail end of their time together (and narrowly missed out on seeing them the first time around - they were due to play the Pyramids in Portsmouth on the day of my last GCSE but cancelled the tour half-way through and subsequently broke up). The Mars Volta then came about and the video for Inertiatic ESP was all over MTV. I saw them play at Reading Festival in 2003 but did not get it at all; they played two songs over 45 minutes and seemed to enjoy knowing their extended-jam wasn't what anyone wanted to see. Despite this, I still bought De-Loused and loved it (and Francis the Mute even more when that came out). The times I've seen The Mars Volta since have been far more enjoyable (although, curiously, always at festivals and never on their own).

Inertiatic ESP was always the hit-single and the go-to if I was ever putting The Mars Volta on mixtapes (although possibly because they had very few songs short enough) but I think Cicatriz ESP might be my favourite; a lot happens in those 12-and-a-half minutes, but when they bring it all back together with an even longer pause before the chorus (or the closest The Mars Volta ever really get to a chorus), I always smile (although the same can be send for the end of Take the Veil Cerpin Taxt with Cedric screaming the lines "Who brought me here?" towards the end). Roulette Dares, This Apparatus Must Be Unearthed and Televators (their attempt at a ballad?) are all incredible moments too. If the album has a weak point, it's side B, but perhaps it's all relative. Maybe I should play those songs on their own a bit and see if they shine.

I have no idea what Cedric is singing the vast majority of the time, and even if I knew the words I don't think I'd be much closer to understanding the meaning. If there really is a story in this album, I have no idea what it is. It's quite cool that a concept album can still work so well when after 10 years I have no idea what the concept is. Maybe one day I'll make an effort to try and follow it and get even more out of De-Loused in the Comatorium.

Format: Double 12", gatefold sleeve, picture sleeves, 24"x24" poster, numbered
Tracks: 10
Cost: £27 new
Bought: Banquet Records
When: 30/05/14
Colour: Gold
Etching: none
mp3s: no