Sunday 31 August 2014

Pop Will Eat Itself - Sweet Sweet Pie


There were three distinct periods of Pop Will Eat Itself. Middle-PWEI had all the hits and late-PWEI had the potential to make some really exciting music beyond their final album Dos Dedos Mis Amigos. Early-PWEI, however, do very little for me at all. Before the programmed drum beats and dual vocals they were just an indie band, playing fairly twee, simple songs. This 7" is from that early period.

I'll write more about early-PWEI another time but Sweet, Sweet Pie is a pretty good example of how they sounded. It doesn't do much for me, but I guess it's what they had to do to become the band they were going to be.

I hadn't planned to buy this record and it was a good four years after the golden age of buying every record I could find. I was in Brighton visiting some friends and we were browsing the various stalls in the excellent Snooper's Paradise. I'd spotted this one in a box of 7"s but wasn't going to buy it. Hugh was amazed that I wasn't going to get it given how keenly I'd bought PWEI when we were at school and college and so took it out and put the record in my hands. I didn't have to buy it, but he had a point. Plus, it did have one song I didn't have on it (Runaround, although being early-PWEI I'm not that into it).

Format: 7"
Tracks: 3
Cost: £1.50 second hand
Bought: Snooper's Paradise, Brighton
When: 16/09/06
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: no