Monday 23 March 2015

65daysofstatic - We Were Exploding Anyway


I don't think I'd consciously heard 65daysofstatic when I bought this album; I'd heard the name mentioned often, seen them on bills full of other bands I like and good friends were into them. In a lot of ways, I have no idea why I hadn't checked them out sooner. Last summer I was strolling around the Independent Label Market (finding surprisingly little I was into) and found the Monotreme Records stall. The year before I'd picked up This Will Destroy You's Tunnel Blanket LP and a free sampler of some interesting math/post-rock bands. They always seem to be one of the few stalls there with anything heavy.

Anyway, for an amazingly-cheap £8 they had We Were Exploding Anyway on 180 gram white vinyl and I figured at that price it'd be rude to not finally check 65dos out. I knew they skirted closer to electronic music than a lot of math/post-rock bands do and there's certainly a large element of that on the record (take Go Complex for example), but it's definitely a rock album and hits pretty hard when it chooses to. Weak4 is a perfect example - the electronic blips and beeps are there, but the song ramps up and explodes in true post-rock style. It's pretty awesome.

On very first listen I wasn't entirely convinced, but a bunch of plays later and it's definitely converted me into a fan. Other highlights include Come to Me with it's unexpected use of vocals and the sprawling Tiger Girl. I've been meaning to check their other albums out since (although I've not done a great job of actually seeking them out; something I should work on).

Also included in the package was the full album on cd (in a printed sleeve, unlike the plastic wallet you usually find) and a download code for the Heavy Sky EP which I must admit I haven't listened to nearly enough. I have vague memories of it being even heavier on the electronica side, but I could be mistaken. The problem with it being a download is that it isn't real, so it's easy to forget about. A nice inclusion though.

Format: 12", picture sleeve, poster, cd
Tracks: 9
Cost: £8 new
Bought: Independent Label Market, London
When: 12/07/14
Colour: White
Etching: None
mp3s: cd