Saturday 21 March 2015

Small Brown Bike - Fell & Found


When the new Small Brown Bike album came out I was excitied to get it, but with a slight fear it might not live up to my expectations. For the first three quarters of Onwards & Overboard I was worried I was going to be underwhelmed, then the huge outro of "You are the ocean / I am the sea / What drowns in you / Will float in me" came in and I knew it was going to be a great record. When those lines get sung I always smile; it's one of the highlights of the album for me.

I'd got into Small Brown Bike long after they'd split up, but before they'd announced their reunion and new album. I'd bought a copy of Dead Reckoning and thought it was incredible, which it is, however I'd not got any of their other albums before Fell & Found came out. It wasn't for want of trying, but their records aren't readily found in British record shops. Fell & Found is less heavy than Dead Reckoning, but I've since learned that so was a lot of their other material; Dead Reckoning was the odd-one-out.

Either way, I was pretty pleased with Fell & Found. Songs like Onwards & OverboardAs We Go and All of Us (another song with a huge outro) are amongst some of my favourite Small Brown Bike songs. Not a great deal to say really, but a very enjoyable record. This the white vinyl from the first pressing (/500) with the amusing "Brown load code" sticker on the sleeve.

Format: 12", two a5 inserts
Tracks: 11
Cost: £8.25 new
Bought: Banquet Records, Kingston
When: 21/06/11
Colour: White
Etching: Side A: "You are the ocean and I am the sea" Side B: "What drowns in you will float in mw"
mp3s: Download