Monday 9 March 2015

Mudhoney - Live at Third Man Records


I own more live Mudhoney albums than I do regular Mudhoney albums. The main reason for this is that Mudhoney are so good live that you know a live album will be enjoyable. For years all I had was March to Fuzz, the Mudhoney best-of, and Live Mud, an incredible live LP. The best-of was good, but Live Mud just sounded incredible. I've since seen Mudhoney live twice and I adore them as a live band. Of the regular Mudhoney albums I've heard, I've enjoyed them, but not in the same way.

I picked up this copy of Live at Third Man Records from Rapture Records in Witney. I'd not long moved to Oxford at this point and we were exploring the nearby areas. I knew Witney had a record shop so it was at the top of surrounding villages to visit. There wasn't a huge amount there I wanted that day, but I knew I'd enjoy this one. I've seen a lot of Live at Third Man records and Mudhoney are one of the few bands that I actually care about to have released one. There's not a whole lot to say about the record itself, but I do like the Live at Third Man sleeves.

Side 1 is where the hits are for me, but the second side isn't bad by any stretch. The songs on side 2 aren't ones I'm familiar with (except I'm Now) but work nicely. I don't think anyone can get tired of hearing songs like Here Comes the Sickness, When Tomorrow Hits and In 'n Out of Grace though. Worth a listen if you enjoy live Mudhoney (and why wouldn't you?).

Format: 12", diecut sleeve
Tracks: 10
Cost: £13 new
Bought: Rapture Records, Witney
When: 10/05/15
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: no