Sunday 30 October 2016

James Blake - Retrograde


Strictly speaking, this record was a gift, but the reason for it was instantly clear. A few years ago just after Christmas my friend Hugh popped around to my parents' house on his way back to Cardiff to say hello. He gave me this 12" and I very quickly realised that he'd been give two copies of it for Christmas and was passing one on to me.

A couple of years before that I remember the name James Blake suddenly appearing everywhere; people were getting very excited about his music. On the surface it didn't seem like anything I'd enjoy but enough people were talking about it I figured I should have a listen. I played a song and it didn't do anything for me so I left it there. We went to Green Man that year and James Blake was playing quite high up the bill on one of the days. Hugh was very excited as he'd become a very big fan. I remember the set being notable only in how bland and boring it was. Even Hugh was disappointed. During the set he even made an ill-advised joke about Wales being as nice as England, which didn't go down well with the predominantly Welsh crowd.

Anyway, Hugh stayed a fan and clearly told at least two members of his family, who bought him this two-song, 12" single. Neither song has very much going for it. His voice is nice enough but the whole thing is too minimal for me. At a few points something happens that sounds like the song might be going somewhere, but then disappears as quickly as it appeared. I don't really know exactly how to classify the music of James Blake, but whatever it is, I'm not a fan.

Format: 12"
Tracks: 2
Cost: £0 new
Bought: Gift
When: 28/12/13
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: no