Saturday 22 October 2016

Mudhoney - On Top! KEXP Presents Mudhoney Live On Top of the Space Needle


I have far more live Mudhoney records than anyone really needs (and more live albums than actual albums). It all started with Live Mud in 2008 which really blew me away. On Record Store Day in 2014 I saw that Mudhoney were releasing another live album and I quite fancied a copy - I'd seen the band a couple of times and knew they were great live. I certainly hoped the new one would be as good as Live Mud.

The record is a recording of a very strange gig. Sub Pop and Mudhoney both turned 25 in 2013 and, in a mix of all things grunge/Seattle, they played a special show on top of the Space Needle to a very small crowd and broadcast live on a local radio station. I'm not sure I knew all those details when the release was announced, but I certainly like the idea. The live show isn't as good as Live Mud, but given the circumstances it's not that surprising. The set-list has some great songs (and less-enjoyable ones like Chardonnay) but the sound is thinner and a bit rougher (What to Do With the Neutral sounds particularly flat). Touch Me I'm Sick, I'm Now and Suck You Dry all sound pretty good.

Just one month later I found a copy of their live album from Third Man Studios in Rapture in Witney and bought it for two reasons - I was excited to finally have a Live at Third Man record (given that most of the bands they'd recorded do little for me) and because I felt that I had to buy something (and there really wasn't anything else particularly exciting). I think I now have all the live Mudhoney albums that I need, but you never know what's going to happen in the future. I should probably buy more of their actual albums before any more live records at least.

Format: 12", picture sleeve
Tracks: 10
Cost: £15 new
Bought: Truck Store, Oxford
When: 19/04/14
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: Download code