Saturday 29 October 2016

Mr Len - Pity the Fool [Promo]


This record cost £1. You can't argue with prices like that. Mr Len was in Company Flow with El-P but that's really all I know about him. The Matador Records stall at the Independent Label Market the first year I went was excellent (as I've mentioned a few times before) and in their bargain bin I found this promo 12" for the debut Mr Len solo album (a mere 12 years after the album came out). I enjoy a bit of hip-hop and the fact that Mr Len was in Co-Flow was enough to make me think it would be rude to not buy it.

The beats are pretty nice and the guest rappers each bring something different to the tracks. The b-side comprises instrumentals of three of the four songs on the a-side along with an untitled bonus track. Some of the instrumentals aren't quite so interesting without the vocals but are still pretty nice (albeit in a different way). The highlight of both sides for me is definitely Dummy Smacks, which works equally well with Chubb Rock and Mr Live as it does without them.

Format: 12"
Tracks: 8
Cost: £1 new
Bought: Independent Label Market
When: 13/07/13
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: no