Monday 19 December 2016

Against Me! - Transgender Dysphoria Blues


I read an interesting article on Vice magazine's website a while ago written by that guy who does all their music stuff . The short version was that he was a fan of Against Me! early on and really loved what they were doing, then the music kinda drifted away and he felt less attached to them. Then Tom Gabel became Laura Jane Grace, the band released this album and they started meaning something again, but now to a different crowd - they were an icon for an LGBT crowd rather than just a punk crowd. The writer felt pleased that they meant something to people again, even if it wasn't the same thing they meant to him back in the day.

I was introduced to Against Me! on their first album and loved it. I got different amounts of enjoyment out of the albums that followed, but the trajectory was a negative one and I feel very little attachment to White Crosses. I still enjoyed seeing the band live but wished I enjoyed their newer stuff as much as their first two albums. When I heard the news about Tom becoming Laura I wondered what effect it would have on the band; despite my indifference to their last album at the time, I was hoping they'd continue.

I didn't buy Transgender Dysphoria Blues when it came out - song titles like Osama Bin Laden as the Crucified Devil and Fuckmylife666 definitely put me off; I couldn't help but think they weren't the titles of Against Me! songs I'd enjoy. Early in 2015 I met up with my friend Sarah in Kingston and we went to Banquet (because I can't go to Kingston during the day and not visit Banquet). I mentioned that I still didn't have a copy and she insisted on buying me one as a belated Christmas present; I obliged.

I enjoyed the album much more than I thought I would. By far the most striking thing about it is how intense and raw the lyrics are. I can only imagine these were songs that Laura Jane Grace had been wanting to write and sing for a long time. The opening duo are amongst the highlights for me, Drinking With the Jocks is one of the heaviest songs they've released and Black Me Out is an unexpected anthem. Even the two songs I mentioned above are far better than their dubious titles imply.

Throughout the whole album you're reminded just how honest the songs are and it's a wonderful thing to listen to. I never thought I'd say these words, but I agree with that writer in Vice magazine - Against Me! may not be the band they once were to me, but I love that they now mean so much to other people. I love that they can hold these songs as close to their hearts as I do with the first album.

Format: 12", gatefold sleeve
Tracks: 10
Cost: £0 new
Bought: Gift
When: 01/03/15
Colour: Blue and white splatter
Etching: none
mp3s: Download code