Sunday 11 December 2016

Audioslave - Audioslave


Can you remember the excitement around this album when it was announced? Good lord, it was crazy. Let's forget about how the album actually turned out for a moment and focus on that excitement. Rage Against the Machine had been the biggest name of the late 1990's and Soundgarden were one of the biggest names of the the early part of that decade. Chris Cornell had long been one of my favourite singers and still has one of the best voices in rock. The music Rage Against the Machine had put out was hugely important and I still get that same feeling when I listen to them now, more than 20 years after they started. How could a band consisting of Chris and Rage (minus Zach) not be great?

Before the album came out the video for Cochise did the rounds on MTV and it was awesome - the band playing on top of some structure in the desert with fireworks going of all around them. If the excitement levels weren't already raised high enough then that video pushed them even higher. I rushed out and bought the cd the day it came out. I was at college then so I used my free periods to go home, turn the hifi up dangerously loud and play the album. (I picked this copy up a few months later - I was still into it enough to spend £15.50 on it, which was a lot for an LP back then.)

It started with a great opening duo, the single Cochise and Show Me How to Live, which is still huge - the lines "Is this the cure or is this a disease?" is one of the greatest pre-chorus breaks that hard-rock did in the 2000's. There are some slower, heavier songs like What You Are which work well - think Mailman from Superunknown - and some slower ones like Like A StoneShadow on the Sun and I am the Highway which I think could have easily been culled. They're nice enough songs and show off Chris's voice well, but aren't what I (or most other listeners I suspect) were wanting to hear from this band. Had it been a Chris Cornell solo album then it would have been great (and would have shat all over his actual solo albums). There are late-album treats like Exploder and Light My Way but they often get forgotten in the expanse of the album.

My main complaints with the album was that it was far too long. It's funny, but as I've got older my"ideal album length" has changed. It used to be twelve songs in 45 minutes, but these days I'm finding the nine songs is strong length. Either way, 14 songs and an hour long is too much. As I've realised is often the case with super-groups (a term I don't think existed in my vocabulary in 2002) is that no one will tell them when to stop, or that maybe some of the songs aren't that great. The result tends to be album that are too long and don't really reflect any of the artist's best work.

Is Audioslave as good as Soundgarden? No, of course not. Some of the songs could make it into a top 20 Chris Cornell songs, but not the top ten. Is Audioslave as good as Rage? Again, not a chance. The musicianship is as good here, but it's more traditional hard-rock, which isn't what people listened to Rage for. The band are still tight as hell, but I don't think any of the guys really shine here (Tom gets some very short solos on What You Are and Bring 'em Back Alive).

I saw Audioslave at Roskilde Festival in 2005. I remember it fondly, although mainly because they played a bunch of Soundgarden and Rage songs. Chris even treated us to a solo performance of Black Hole Sun which was incredible. I hadn't seen Soundgarden at that point, so it was really special. Needless to say, his ability to rap like Zach de la Rocha was sub-par, but I'd seen Rage before so I'd already had my fix of hearing those songs how they're supposed to be played.

As is often the case with these blog posts, I've not listened to Audioslave for a long time before putting the needle on the record today. I'm surprised how well it stands up. I mean, I don't find myself wanting to listen to this sort of music much these days, but it's good. Plus, it's so deeply rooted in nostalgia (for itself but also for Soundgarden and Rage) and that early excitement it's had not to smile a little and have a little headbang.

Format: Double 12", gatefold sleeve, picture sleeves
Tracks: 14
Cost: £15.50 new
Bought: Selectadisc, Nottingham
When: 20/02/03
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: no