Friday 16 December 2016

Atmosphere - Godlovesugly


The first time I heard Atmosphere was in my friend Jon's car as we drove across the Severn Bridge. I can't remember where we were going mind you but it was definitely on the bridge as we crossed from Wales into England. I didn't know Jon very well at the time, but he was in a band with a friend and had an interesting taste in music - a mix of punk, 90's rock and hip-hop. I have no idea what Atmosphere songs we listened to, but I enjoyed the strange beats and intense rapping.

A short while later I found this second-hand triple-LP copy of Godlovesugly in Reckless Records in London and figured it was worth picking up - I hadn't seen any of their albums about and it was in pretty good condition and well-priced at £10.

My feelings about Atmosphere have been fairly consistent over the 8 years since I bought this album - I enjoy them but find them hard work. I bought a couple of other albums and found the same thing time and time again - each album has some incredible songs - here you have really great songs like The Bass and the Movement, Fuck You Lucy and One of a Kind which really stand out. On the other hand, there are some really cringe-worthy moments, especially around Slug's rather low opinion of himself (or, at least, his assumption of others' low opinion of him). And then there are just loads of other songs - this album has 18 songs, which is crazy long. I'm very familiar with the start of this album, but find I often can't make it through all six sides.

The highlights really are great - Fuck You Lucy is exactly what I want from these guys - the rapping is aggressive and interesting and they do that really well. If there was a best-of that contained just those songs I'd probably be all over that. As it is, I don't have the patience for the majority of their output a lot of the time.

Format: Triple 12", gatefold sleeve
Tracks: 10
Cost: £10 second hand
Bought: Reckless Records, London
When: 15/09/08
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: no