Thursday 18 July 2013

Crackout - Out of Our Minds


I'll save a longer chat about Crackout for when I write about their debut album, This is Really Neat. They've been mentioned here before, because they were supporting Vex Red on the NME Upstarts Tour, which was the first time I saw them.

This 7" is the first single and opener from their second album Oh No!, which I'd owned for a few months by the time I bought this. I'd been disappointed by their second record, especially because the first one had been so fun, but there are two reasons I bought this record: a) the b-side is a live version of the excellent song You Dumb Fuck from their debut, but with the word "fuck" replaced by "truck", which amused me and b) it was only 50p. (Actually, there's probably a third reason, which is that I sometimes can't stop myself from buying records).

Anyway, as I suspected, it was worth at least 50p for the b-side alone. The a-side isn't terrible, but the only reason this 7" ever graces the turntable is for You Dumb Truck. The song was always a fun, catchy song and this censored, acoustic version always puts a small smile on my face. The line "get the truck away from me" is a particular highlight.

Format: 7"
Tracks: 2
Cost: £0.50 new
Bought: Reading Festival
When: 27/08/03
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: no