Monday 10 April 2017

Max Richter - From Sleep


There are a lot of things that can be said about Max Richter's Sleep project, but the single most important one for me is its ability to calm me down regardless of what's going on. Over the past year, whenever I've felt stressed and unable to think sensibly, I've put on one of the cds of Sleep or this LP, From Sleep, and I've instantly felt better. Within seconds my mind is no longer racing and a few minutes later I am considerably calmer than I was before I pressed play. The effect that music can have on your moods and state of mind is truly remarkable, and the speed at which Sleep calms me down is really quite something.

I heard about Sleep when it was first announced and thought it sounded very cool. A friend who's also a Max Richter fan thought it sounded pretentious, but I can see that I'm the sort of person who is likely to enjoy something like this. For those who don't know, Sleep is an 8-hour long composition designed to be listened to whilst you sleep. I like the idea - the notes mention how sleep is something to be respected and enjoyed, which is increasingly difficult. To accompany Sleep, he also released From Sleep, an hour long album featuring movements from the full piece. From Sleep is the version of the album you listen during the day to enjoy the music, in theory.

Being the terrible person I am, I've still not actually tried sleeping whilst listening to Sleep - I don't have a Blu-ray player to play the continuous 8-hour version, and getting up to change the cd every hour won't make for a good night's sleep! I didn't get the album until a physical version came out, and got the full cd boxset before eventually getting this double-LP too. I can vividly remember the first time I pressed play on the first disc and the first few minutes of Dream 1 being so brilliantly slow that I couldn't help but relax. I felt myself drop down in my chair and it was like a wave of calmness flowing over me; it was really beautiful. I didn't know what to expect, but I definitely didn't expect that. Over the next few days I worked through the remaining discs and that sense of calmness continued.

I now treat Sleep much like a painkiller - it's not to be over-used but there are times when you truly need it and that's when I listen to it. I pick one of the discs or the LP at random (there are no highs and no lows - that's partly the idea I guess) and focus on the music. I had a very annoying day at work recently, so as soon as I sat down on the train home I played Sleep and felt so much better. After 10 minutes or so of feeling far more relaxed, I got my laptop out and figured out the solution to the problem that had been evading me all afternoon. By the time I got home I was a much happier person.

Format: Double 12", gatefold sleeve
Tracks: 7
Cost: £23 new
Bought: Truck Store, Oxford
When: 23/02/16
Colour: Clear
Etching: none
mp3s: Download code