Wednesday 12 April 2017

Oneida - Rated O


I'd never listened to Oneida before buying this album. Even when I was buying it, I was aware it was a strange and unnecessary purchase, yet I still wanted to buy it. Sometimes it's important to feel adventurous, even if all you're doing is buying an album by a band you've not heard (but heard of, of course).

I was in Sister Ray in London (which is far less exciting now they're in their much smaller location across the road) and found this second hand copy of Rated O. Except it was sealed, so kinda new, but had taken some serious wear over its years of not being played - each of the corners was a bit dented and the seal had taken some wear (also, two of the sides have labels saying "Side D", so it's perhaps faulty stock from the label). At £15 it wasn't exactly a bargain either. But I'd never actually seen a Oneida record in a shop before and that alone made me think it was worth picking up - I strongly suspected the opportunity wouldn't present itself again. The sticker on the sleeve helpfully told me that this was the second of three releases in the "Thank Your Parents" albums.

I think I was keen to hear what the band sounded like - I'd heard the name many times and was aware of the drummer Kid Millions collaborating with J Spaceman and Boredoms. That should have given me some warning about what to expect. I've come to quite enjoy Rated O and think there are some gems amongst its six sides on vinyl but, Christ, it was hard work at first - Brownout in Lagos is not easy listening. If you're thinking about listening to Oneida for the first time, don't start there. What's Up, Jackyl is much more my cup of tea and great, but then 10:30 at the Oasis drones on for nearly quarter of an hour and makes me wonder what I'm doing with my life. In a strange move, they use a locked groove at the end of Side A to make the song go on for as long as you can stand it; I often assume I've reached the start of the locked groove far earlier than I have. It took me a few listens to make any progress with Rated O, and it turned out the trick was not starting at the beginning. I know the band probably went to some effort curating the listening experience that I decided to ignore, but sometimes it's got to be done.

There are highlights (and some lows) spread throughout the rest of the album - The Human Factor is uneasy listening but great at the same time; it sounds a bit like a nightmare. Side C is pretty strong with The RiverI Will Haunt You and The Life You Preferred (all "songs" in a normal sense of the word). It Was a Wall is another great song. Side E is a bit of a lull, but the lengthy Folk Wisdom that takes up all of Side F makes for a good end.

All in all, I'm not Oneida's new biggest fan, but I enjoy them, which was certainly not a guaranteed result when I bought this album. It could have easily gone far, far worse.

Format: Triple 12", gatefold sleeve
Tracks: 15
Cost: £15 second hand
Bought: Sister Ray
When: 04/03/16
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: Download code