Sunday 16 April 2017

The Gutter Twins - Saturnalia


The Gutter Twins were a Tuesday-record-from-Spillers discovery in late-July. I'd long been aware of both Mark Lanegan and Greg Dulli, so figured it'd be interesting to hear a collaboration between the two of them. For £11, it was definitely worth the punt.

I knew they both had great voices, and they work wonderfully together. The songs are quite varied but ultimately fit within the category of "rock" - a lot of the edge that set these guys apart in the 90's is a bit watered down, but that's to be expected. If you're after some heavier-than-middle-of-the-road rock songs with some incredible vocals, then you're in for a treat with The Gutter Twins.

I don't listen to this album that often, but I enjoy it a lot more than I remember each time I do. In my mind it's quite a long album, and at 12 songs and nearly an hour long, it's on that side of things. When "super-groups" release albums, there's always that fear of the album being bloated from no one telling them to stop (something Them Crooked Vultures were very guilty of); I would probably have enjoyed this album equally, or maybe more, if it was a couple of songs shorter, but that's just my preference. It's a perfectly enjoyable album, but certainly hasn't changed my life in any real way.

Format: Double 12", insert
Tracks: 12
Cost: £11 new
Bought: Spillers Records, Cardiff
When: 29/07/08
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: Download code