Wednesday 26 February 2020

Cheap Girls - My Roaring 20's


I often forget about Cheap Girls. So much so that I forgot to buy their other albums, which is a shame because I'd probably have enjoyed them. As is so often the way, this LP didn't come with mp3s so I've really not played it as much as I would have if it did; it's definitely the sort of album I'd put on if I scrolled past it on my iPod. According to Discogs, it should have come with a cd of the songs, but mine didn't - that means it probably got wedged into the behind-the-counter sleeve in Banquet, and potentially thrown in with whoever bought the record that got in there next. I hope that person enjoyed it.

I saw Cheap Girls a handful of times and picked this album up in Banquet shortly before their tour with Lemuria came through Kingston. They were already one of those names you just knew - they'd done a split with Above Them and another with Failures' Union, so I was pleased they were touring and I was looking forward to seeing them. I enjoyed them both on record and live. The tour with Lemuria inexplicably came back through Kingston a week later on the same night that Touche Amore and La Dispute played The Fighting Cocks - Lemuria and Cheap Girls played the Hippodrome later on and I think the entry was free having been to the other show. It was a great night (although I'll probably never forget how annoying it was to watch Touche Amore with the house lights on). Those were definitely the golden days of living in Kingston (part of my roaring 20's) - being able to walk home after seeing two gigs of great bands in one night is something I can't imagine happening again.

Cheap Girls play fairly inoffensive, Lemonheads-styled punk-rock, but the singer's distinctive and unique voice is the highlight. There are some nice, memorable songs (in spite of the lack of plays) - Ft. LauderdaleHey, Hey, I'm Worn Out and All My Clean Friends - but it's mainly about the general warm feeling you get from their sound. There are similarities to Failures' Union for sure (although I'd say they probably had more songs).

If I saw their other records in shops as often as I used to in 2011 I'd definitely buy them, but that just doesn't happen anymore. Maybe I'm just going to the wrong shops.

Format: 12", picture sleeve
Tracks: 10
Cost: £8.25 new
Bought: Banquet Records, Kingston
When: 21/06/11
Colour: Pink with white splatter
Etching: no
mp3s: no