Thursday 27 February 2020

Marvin Gaye - Anthology


I'll be the first to admit that, when compared to the full range of recorded music since records were created, my record collection is far from eclectic; the vast majority can described as white dudes playing guitars between 1990 and now. It's not intentional, but those just seem to be the records I buy mostly. And (very importantly), that's not to say that there certainly isn't room for music by people who don't fit into that category. But, ultimately, I like rock music, and a lot of rock bands fall into that category for whatever reasons.

I dabble in other genres but that dabbling rarely goes deep - I guess I just don't like other genres to feel the need to dig as deeply as I do for post-90's guitar music. I also don't feel I have enough knowledge to discern good from bad in most other genres. Anyway, there are some records in my collection that most people would agree are out of place given the rest of it. This is one such record.

I own Marvin Gaye's Anthology because I was given it for free in a hold-all of records my old colleague Gunnar found in the attic of the repossessed house he'd bought (the same hold-all of records that I got Born to Run and Bob Marley's Legend). I'm not exaggerating when I say he literally dragged this filthy hold-all of LPs into work, dumped them next to my desk and let me have a rummage. There wasn't a great deal I wanted in there, although I do sometimes wonder if there any hidden gems in there I wasn't aware of at the time. After I'd taken the few of interest, the rest went to a charity shop (I think) and the hold-all went in the bin (I hope).

I don't know what caused me to take this one home with me. I had a couple of covers of What's Going On, and Let's Get it On and I Heard it Through the Grapevine are just songs that everyone knows are classics. A few things to note about this album:
  • It's impossible not to enjoy these songs, pretty much regardless of what music you like. They're just great pop songs. Even that strange one about an onion.
  • It's a really long album. I've never known so many songs squeezed onto four sides of vinyl.
  • The strangest thing about this record, by a long margin, is something I have never seen before or since - sides 1 and 3 are on the same disc, and 2 and 4 are on the other. That's crazy, right? Is that so I can have the other record queued up on my other turntable for a seamless listening experience? If so, it's a real shame that I only have one turntable (in this room).
  • You is a really great song. That one really stood out.
Format: Double 12", gatefold
Tracks: 33
Cost: free second hand
Bought: Gunnar's attic
When: 25/03/09
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: no