Monday 24 February 2020

Gameface + Errortype:11 - What's Up Bro?


Errortype:11 were a name I knew because some of the members ended up in a band called Instruction with one of the guys from Quicksand. Instruction supported Hundred Reasons in a great, sweaty gig we saw in the Wedgewood Rooms in Portsmouth in 2003 and mainly made an impression because they had the guy from Quicksand in, and I was (and still am) a big Quicksand fan. A year and a bit later I picked up their album God Doesn't Care and enjoyed about half of it.

Some years later, I found this in Damaged Records and picked it up because I was in a mood for spending money and not really finding much I wanted (I also got a record by The Sainte Catherines, which is equally an outlier in my collection). Gameface are a band I know literally nothing about, other than they did a split with Errortype:11. Their songs are fine I guess, but the crazy catchy hook in the Tom Petty song they do is the only really memorable part of their side (which I guess isn't a great review). It also ends with a pointlessly long drunk phone-call recording, for some reason. Who thought that was a good thing to put on the record, I don't know.

The Errortype:11 songs are nice, but sound appalling; so much so I was just checking my needle to make sure it wasn't broken. Maybe it's jut a bad pressing. I'm no audiophile, but it is hard to enjoy the songs when they sound so flat. I'm guessing the singer was in Instruction, because the vocals are very familiar from that record. Musically, they're a bit more upbeat, which works. They also offer a cover - I Got You by Split Enz - another song I don't know, but is catchy enough. I didn't need this record, but for £6 you can't really complain.

Format: 10", insert
Tracks: 6
Cost: £6 new
Bought: Damaged Records, Cardiff
When: 22/08/09
Colour: Orange
Etching: none
mp3s: none