Wednesday 19 February 2020

Final Fantasy - He Poos Clouds


I totally assumed I'd already written about this, but I've actually just written about every other Final Fantasy/Owen Pallett record I own except this one. He Poos Clouds was the first Final Fantasy record I got, but somehow possibly the album of his I'm least into. Has a Good Home has The CN Tower Belongs to the Dead, the first song of his I heard and still one of my favourites, Heartland I just (eventually) tried really hard with and In Conflict is really incredible, so it gets a lot of play. As a result, this one doesn't get played all that often. It's an interesting album, but also one of the hardest to listen to - he rarely stays in the same place very long and few songs have an obvious structure to them. Of course, it's no wonder that it won the Polaris Music prize, since they almost always pick something edgy and difficult (in a good way).

There are some strong songs - the title track, This Lamb Sells Condos, Song Song Song and Many Lives -> 49 MP. The latter I eventually picked up on a 7" single, because I felt bad I hadn't found anything else I really wanted to buy. I found this LP in Bart's CD Cellar in Boulder on what turned out to be the first Record Store Day (or the before, or after, I can't remember). After being so impressed with The CN Tower Belongs to the Dead I was definitely pretty excited to play it, although I couldn't say exactly where it sat in the pile of records I brought back from that trip.

Format: 12", gatefold
Tracks: 10
Cost: £8.13 new
Bought: Bart's CD Cellar, Boulder
When: 18/04/08
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: none