Thursday 27 July 2017

Chillerton - Chillerton


Chillerton were one of the many bands that played a lot during the time I was living in Cardiff. I definitely saw them a number of times, but have few distinct memories of what they sounded like exactly. That's no slight on them - we saw a lot of hardcore/punk bands and they were one that I never spent the time to get into at the time; in hindsight, this was a mistake.

A few years later, they were playing the Deadpunk All-dayer in Bristol and lots of people were very excited about this. Their set was great and I struggled to remember why it was that I hadn't become a fan all those years beforehand; I probably had a bit of hardcore-fatigue around that time.

Since the band had long since broken up and were playing a one-off (I think) reunion show, they had this 7" and the cd version on their merch table for free - there was a box of each that had presumably been sat in someone's garage for years, neglected. Eager to give the record a good home, I picked up a copy (of each, not realising that the cd contained the same songs as it had different cover). The 7", as you can see, is a very nice clear with blue and red splatter.

I was pleasantly surprised when I played the records - the songs were catchy but still very heavy, and the mixture of male and female vocals on The Way She Types and Torque was refreshing (especially the way they were layered on the former). The whole EP is a bit rough around the edges, but I like it for that. I eventually bought the album, which made me further wish I'd spent more time getting into the band back in the day. Better late than never I suppose.

Format: 7"
Tracks: 5
Cost: £0 new
Bought: gig
When: 28/08/13
Colour: Clear with blue and red splatter
Etching: none
mp3s: no