Tuesday 18 July 2017

Manic Street Preachers - Let Robeson Sing


I paid £5.50 for this 12" back in 2001, which was a lot for a single. However, my Manics collection was in full swing, so I pretty much bought whatever I could find. The sleeve is numbered - in this case #3136 - but I'm guessing there was a fairly large run of this single.

In a fairly strange move, the first song here isn't Let Robeson Sing; it is in fact a b-side called Fear of Motion, a song which, I think, is only available on this 12" (it’s not even on the Know Our B-Sides Japanese release, collecting the b-sides from that era). It's a nice song and could have easily been on Know Your Enemy - kind of floaty, a bit like some of the TIMTTMY songs but has a pleasingly heavily strummed guitar and interesting vocal patterns from James. As it happens, it's the thing that makes this 12" very much worth having, as the other two songs are fairly dodgy remixes.

The first remix is by Ian Brown and the second by Felix Da Housecat (and no original version, which is even more unusual). I think it was around this time I saw the Manics in Manchester with Ian Brown supporting, which was really my only introduction to the man. As well as remixing the song, he raps a verse, which is just terrible. He's far too Mancunian to rap like that. It makes for a very strange minute in the song. Otherwise, the song is quite similar to the original, which itself is a fine song, but not one of their best. The Felix Da Housecat remix is crazy-different to the original and takes a few minutes before you recognise anything from the regular version. I'm not a fan.

Format: 12", numbered
Tracks: 3
Cost: £5.50 new
Bought: HMV Southampton
When: 24/10/01
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: no