Monday 3 July 2017

The Music - Take the Long Road and Walk It


Take the Long Road and Walk It was one of the singles released from The Music's debut, self-titled album. The People had got a lot of play on MTV ahead of the album release and I'd bought a copy as soon as it came out. I found this 7" at a record fair in Southampton and was fairly happy to add it to my little collection of The Music records. At that age, picture discs were an appealing thing, rather than the pain I know them to as an adult.

It's still a fun song, and very representative of what they were doing at the time. I can't say I play this 7” very often (ever), but I can vividly remember the appeal of the band. The b-side is a slow, mostly acoustic song called Alone; it’s not remotely like anything else the band had released up to that point, but it kinda works. The singer's voice is stretched in different ways, but it's good to hear. I have a few more The Music 7"s, and I probably bought them partly because I enjoyed this b-side so much.

Format: 7", picture disc
Tracks: 2
Cost: £3 new
Bought: Record Fair, Southampton
When: 26/10/02
Colour: Picture disc
Etching: none
mp3s: no