Wednesday 26 July 2017

Pop Will Eat Itself - Poppiecock - The Poppies Play 5-a-side


One of the last PWEI records I bought was this 12" from their very early days. I'd bought a copy of Now For a Feast on cd in Bournemouth in 2002 which, along with the early songs on the PWEI Product anthology album, meant I was already very familiar with all these songs. However, it was £3.50 on eBay and I didn't have any of those songs on vinyl, so I guess it seemed like a good purchase.

All those years later, these songs aren't anywhere near as bad as I remember. I mean, they were basically a different band to the PWEI I got into, but that doesn't mean they're not good songs. I don't know if I'd have got into a band that sounded like this without knowing the band they'd go on to be, but here we are. The whole thing plays at 45rpm and is over pretty soon after it starts. Does it show potential? I guess so, although I don't think anyone could have guessed how the band would sound in a few years given how they sound here. The songs are fine, but none I like enough to call a "highlight", although Candyiosis makes me smile.

Format: 12"
Tracks: 10
Cost: £3.50 second hand
Bought: eBay
When: 02/05/03
Colour: Black
Etching: Side A: "Play a fast 'un you bastards"
mp3s: no