Friday 22 March 2019

Glen Hansard - It Was Triumph We Once Proposed... Songs of Jason Molina


I don't know a great deal about Glen Hansard. I've read a few bits in relation to Jason Molina, so know the back story of how their split record came to be. His is not a name I'd have come across otherwise though.

I didn't buy this record the first time I saw it in Truck Store. On the second time I saw it, I'd already become more of a collector of Molina-related records and decided it had a place in that collection. I'm glad I did, because Glen's take on these five songs is great and I play them often. (As it happens, I've since bought a lot of records of covers of Jason Molina songs and find great enjoyment in many of them).

Being in Love is from my favourite album, The Lioness, and Glen and Jennie Benford bring it to life in a wonderful way. Hold on Magnolia and Farewell Transmission are from The Magnolia Electric Co. The former comes across in a very different way - more reflective than Jason's. An interpretation might be that he was willing himself to hold on; Glen is then reflecting to the sad fact that he couldn't. It builds to a huge crescendo which Glen's voice carries brilliantly. Farewell Transmission is almost obligatory, and this is a nice version - slow and gentle, but allowing itself to drift into the big rock sound of the original towards the end; I've lost count of the number of covers I've heard of this song, which is a great problem to have. Vanquisher is a song from a 7" (and appears on the Journey On boxset), but also reappeared as Cabwaylingo on the debut album, along with the final song here, White Sulfur. The early days were pretty lo-fi, but Glen's voice works equally well with these songs - less soothing, but still strong. I remember someone remarking that White Sulfur was a curious note to end on, but perhaps choosing that because it means ending on the line "So then, I have to be going / Ok", a very casual way to leave it.

Format: 12", picture sleeve
Tracks: 5
Cost: £13 new
Bought: Truck Store, Oxford
When: 06/07/16
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: Download code