Sunday 31 March 2019

Noise By Numbers + The Magnificent - Split


Before I bought any of The Magnificent's albums, I bought a bunch of their 7" records - it wasn't intentional, but I kept finding them before I found either of their excellent albums. This is a split with a band called Noise By Numbers who I know nothing about. A quick google suggests they're related to some bands I've heard of, so I assume a reasonably big deal if you're into those bands. Their two songs are fine, but don't do huge amounts for me. Perfectly listenable, and I imagine they'd be fun live, but I'm almost certainly not going to check out their albums.

Reading the sleeve, it seems that The Magnificent recorded these songs with the guitarist from Noise By Numbers in Chicago, so that explains the connection I guess. Don't Send Me Flowers starts of a bit flat (but that could just be the very thin vinyl), but then has a huge chorus that comes out of nowhere, full of "woah-ohs" and great guitars. It's a great song and would have been perfectly at home on either of their albums. King of Denim Jackets was the closer on Bad Lucky, but this is a different recording. It's another great song. They really were an excellent punk band.

I bought it because I was doing an online order with Boss Tuneage Records and saw it in their distro - no very interesting story there. It came with a download code that never worked because the website that was hosting it has long since closed.

Format: 7"
Tracks: 4
Cost: £4 new
Bought: Boss Tuneage website
When: 03/08/12
Colour: Grey/purple mix
Etching: Side A: "You're so wise. You're like a miniature Buddha covered with hair" Side B: "I'm an IRS agent. Everybody hates me!"
mp3s: Download code