Thursday 7 March 2019

Rumbleseat - Rumbleseat is Dead


If it seems that I'm constantly writing about Chuck Ragan albums, it's because I have a lot of them. I'm not 100% sure of the timeline, but I think Rumbleseat was the precursor to the solo Chuck Ragan albums, and stands up well against them. In fact, I'd consider it every bit as essential as his other studio albums.

The version of California Burritos here starts a little flat and underwhelming compared to the version that would end up on Feast or Famine, but improves as it goes on and ends up nearly on par (but, let's be honest, little can live up to that version of California Burritos, a song I still consider one of my all-time favourites). That acts nicely as a bridge into what would easily rank amongst the best Chuck solo songs, Cursing Concrete. If you're a fan but haven't heard this song, I recommend checking it out. It has a huge amount of power and a chorus that just soars. Whenever I finish listening to this album, that's the one stuck in my head.

Restless is awesome too - showing a softer side for the first time, but with a heavily strummed guitar (that song, as well as Jackson and Moonshiner make some of the best use of Chris and Samantha's voices). The other highlight here is Saturn in Crosshairs - Chuck's voice sounds incredible and peak-gruff-punk; the last line of each verse he brings it back just a bit so that the choruses hit that much harder. As well as some excellent originals, we also get four covers including two Johnny Cash and June Carter numbers (I have a Johnny Cash greatest hits album from back in the day, but haven't spent a great deal of time with his music).

If I remember correctly, this project started out as a bunch of 7" records that eventually got grouped together here after the band went their separate ways (I could easily Google this, but it doesn't look like I'm going to). I picked up this copy for a bargain £5.50 on eBay (including postage!). I tried to work out what pressing it was once, but pretty much all of them were some sort of grey marble like this one. I also bought the cd for £2 (bargains all round) a while later so that I could have mp3s of it, but as an added bonus it includes four demos and another untitled song, all entirely unlisted, which was a nice surprise.

Format: 12", silkscreened folded sleeve, insert
Tracks: 13
Cost: £5.50 new
Bought: eBay
When: 27/10/07
Colour: Grey marble
Etching: none
mp3s: none