Sunday 17 March 2019

The Dwarves - Blood, Guts & Pussy


When I was doing my Tuesday-record-from-Spillers year, sometimes when I'd get back to the office my colleagues would ask what record I bought; they mostly knew very little about the music I was into but liked to look at the covers and ask what sort of music it was. When I came back with this LP that summer, I remember praying that no one would ask me - I snuck in and hid it by the side of my desk. How do you explain that cover to anyone? The band name alone would raise some eyebrows, let alone the album title. What if they looked at the song titles and saw songs like Let's Fuck, Insect Whore or Gash Wagon? Thankfully the lyrics for Let's Fuck aren't printed because I definitely don't want to be doing any explaining around that (I'll let you Google that one if you're not familiar with that particular slab of punk-rock).

This is the only Dwarves record I own. I knew roughly what I was getting in for and get some enjoyment out of it - Drug Store is actually quite a good song - but I very rarely ever think "yes, I want to listen to the Dwarves". There are many uneasy-listening hardcore records in my collection, and most of them are recorded better - the quality here varies from just about ok to appalling - Detention Girl is just a smudge of noise for the first half. On the other hand, it's a very short record, so at least you're not listening to it for long. I've definitely had £8 of enjoyment from it over the years, so I can't complain. On the other hand, I do worry my children will see it one day and judge me.

Format: 12"
Tracks: 11
Cost: £8 new
Bought: Spiller's Records, Cardiff
When: 03/06/08
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: none