Thursday 21 March 2019

La Pince - La Simple


I mentioned La Pince last summer when I wrote about a record by Casse Brique, a band who I think are related to them - I was given the Casse Brique record when I bought this one at a La Pince show with Silent Front in London, so I assume so. I've probably listened to the Casse Brique record more, but I'd be lying if I said either were in heavy rotation. Neither are easy listening, although La Pince are the harder on the ear.

The music is quite angular and jagged punk rock. The singer maybe has most in common with Jello Biafra in singing style; that is to say, I'm not a big fan. Live they worked much better - I remember him contorting around on the floor and being hugely energetic. That style rarely translates well to record. As far as music like this goes, it's not a bad record, but nor is it one that does much for me. The 13 songs are all quite similar - discordant, heavy on bass and slightly unintelligible vocals - so I couldn't call out any highlights.

I enjoyed the show a lot that night and I'm glad I got the record, even if I don't listen to it much. They were a good match with Silent Front, although a leaning a little closer to punk than metal, so probably a reasonable recommendation if that's your thing.

Format: 12", insert, cd
Tracks: 13
Cost: £7.20 new
Bought: Gig
When: 06/10/12
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: cd