Sunday 15 October 2017

Incubus - Are You In?


This is one of the worst purchases I've ever made. The worst part of it was that I wasn't even planning to buy it, but I was too British not to. I was at a record fair and pulled it out of the box to have a look at - it was 2003, so I was still kinda into the band - and before I really had time to think about it, the guy manning the stall said "that'll be £5 please"; I panicked and handed over the money, buying a record that had I a few seconds to really think about, I would have known was going to be junk, and definitely not worth a whole £5. Such a stupid mistake.

There are three versions of the same song here - the song being Are You In? a fairly unexciting song from towards the end of their unexciting third album, Morning View (I had the album, so knew the single was far from good - makes the purchase even worse). The original and "new mix" sound identical, except that the mix is shorter. Not sure what got cut, never cared enough to work it out. The final version is a Paul Oakenfold remix - he was famous for remixing stuff around the time, if I remember correctly. As far as I can tell, he's just made the snare drum louder. I'm sure he got paid handsomely for essentially just leaning on one fader on the panel.

I've never been one for remixes of rock songs, which really makes this purchase even more frustrating. Nothing of interest here at all, but perhaps a lesson learnt?

Format: 12", die-cut sleeve, promo
Tracks: 3
Cost: £5 second hand
Bought: Record Fair, Southampton
When: 25/01/03
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: no