Friday 6 October 2017

Plan B - No Good


I continued buying Plan B records long after the point when I should have stopped. This is a prime example of one such record. The LP had been out a whole year and I found this 12" of No Good in my local HMV. The song was one I was familiar with from the 7"s and it did little for me - in a lot of ways it was the exact opposite of the Plan B I'd got into; a guy rapping over an acoustic guitar. It wasn't a surprise that the album had gone that way - it was probably going to sell more records, sadly (although I wonder if that wasn't the case in the end).

Anyway, I got this one afternoon in Lancaster. Term had just finished in my last year and I was heading back to Winchester for Glastonbury, before returning to Lancaster a week later to get my final results and get drunk a few last times before leaving university permanently (as it happened, I couldn't get my results when I went back because my result was on the border of two grades, so I had to wait another few weeks. Still, it was fun going back for those last few nights of carnage. I've never returned to Lancaster). Knowing I was going to spend 10 hours on the train over a week, I went to HMV to buy some dvds to watch on my laptop, and found the Die Hard trilogy boxset for a very reasonable price, which certainly made the train journey much less painful.

I also found this 12" and decided to pick it up. I don't know why - it's certainly by no means an essential purchase. I think I'd been in the habit for the past four years of buying whatever vinyl I could get my hands on up there that I felt I had to. It's rather fitting that my last purchase up there was so terrible, in a way.

Like I said, the single itself does little for me. Therefore, it should come as no surprise that the two remixes do even less. The second in particular is just mindless in what the remix adds. Chase & Status were pretty popular at the time, but I couldn't see the appeal. It wasn't my thing, I guess. Where Ya From? was another album-track, but here with added vocals by JME and Skepta, which might be of interest to some people, but really means very little to me.

Format: 12"
Tracks: 4
Cost: £3.60 new
Bought: HMV Lancaster
When: 28/06/07
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: no