Friday 5 April 2013

Explosions in the Sky - Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Live Forever


I was introduced to Explosions in the Sky on their fourth album All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone and they quickly became my favourite instrumental band. In December of that year I bought a copy of the excellent The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place (on cd for a fiver. Bargain) and discovered they were curating one of the All Tomorrow's Parties festivals in the summer (featuring a band I adored, The Paper Chase). I forget which happened first, but I suspect they occurred in that order - the cd was a Christmas gift to myself and I vaguely remember trying to convince my friends to come to ATP in the week between Christmas and new year. 

Anyway, the Tuesday after I returned from ATP my Tuesday-record-from-Spillers was this Explosions album. They had blown me away at the festival and by some nice coincidence, the LP happened to be in stock during my usual trip to Spillers. Certainly amongst my friends who are into Explosions, it's agreed that Cold Dead Place is the most amazing of their LPs, but after that it's impossible to rank them. They consistently make the most beautiful music and were on particularly heavy rotation while I was writing up my thesis. I think highlights here are Yasmin the Light and Have You Passed Through This Night, but I play this album to hear it as a whole - 50 minutes of incredible post-rock that happens to be split into six songs.

Format: 12", picture sleeve
Tracks: 6
Cost: £10 new
Bought: Spillers
When: 20/04/08
Colour: Black
Etching: Side A: "Those who tell the truth shall die" Side B: "Those who tell the truth shall live forever"
mp3s: no