Saturday 6 April 2013

The Blood Brothers - Rumors Laid Waste


A couple of weeks after I bought ...Burn, Piano Island, Burn I was in Brighton with some friends for a gig and an explore. I was into Rise Against at the time and they were touring with the Mad Caddies who a bunch of my friends were into. My friend Thom had not long passed his driving test, so we all headed to the coast to see what Brighton had to offer and catch the Fat Wreck Chords tour. On this trip down the lanes I stumbled across Punker Bunker for the first time and found Rumors Laid Waste on 10"; a collection of songs from The Blood Brothers' early 7"s, along with an unreleased title-track. As a side-note, I think 10" is an under-appreciated format that I really quite like.

The songs are way more spazzy and raw than the ones I heard on Piano Island, but they're still excellent. Very few bands get more spazzy as their career goes on, so it shouldn't have been a surprise that these are way more raucous, but at that young age it probably did shock me a little. I was pleased with my purchase nonetheless and it's been played a lot over the years, although not as much as Piano Island or Crimes. Highlights for me are the two songs from the split with Stilleto (Gagged in a Casket and Boy Armageddon) and Red Blooded American Girls from their self-titled EP.


Format: 10", insert
Tracks: 9
Cost: £7.50 new
Bought: Punker Bunker, Brighton
When: 23/04/03
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: no