Wednesday 24 April 2013

Jonah Matranga - You're All Those Things and Then You're None (Versions 1 & 2)


I've been putting off writing about this record for the sole reason that I just don't like it that much. Theoretically I agree that there's a lot of worth in the phrase "if you have nothing nice to say..." and that there's way too much negativity in music writing as it is, but I set out to write about every record I own, including the ones I'm not that keen on. Let's see if I can write about this without sounding like a critical arse-hole.

All that said, the key thing to take from this is that I think Jonah is a great musician. He's written some incredible songs and been a part of some excellent bands (Far and New End Original). His solo career has been prolific and I could easily list about 20 solo songs of his that I genuinely love. Most of all his live shows are excellent and I try to see him every time he comes to town; I pretty much always leave smiling because it was so much fun and he played such brilliant songs. Possibly my all-time favourite Jonah-live-show moment was the acoustic version of Far's Joining the Circus that he played upstairs in the Garage a year or so ago. I love that song and it worked so well. Also, he seems like a really nice guy, and I really hope he doesn't end up reading this (if you do, Jonah, I'm sorry).

So hopefully I've now convinced you that I ordinarily have a lot of time for Jonah Matranga and his music. The problem is that I can barely listen to this album - there's hardly a decent song in the lot. The opener This is Who I'm Gonna Be is just about passable and I Just Died in the Air is alright but that's followed by the worst song on the album. Other than that every song has at least one part that makes me rub the bridge of my nose like the kid in Dazed and Confused whenever something awkward happens.

This album began life as a kickstarter project (I think, or something like that) with the twist that the album would evolve over time - the plan was to get people to record songs from it, or parts of them, and make a second version as a "full band". I thought it had potential (remember, I do normally enjoy Jonah's work) and got involved. I opted for the double vinyl+cd+t-shirt option and didn't mind spending £40 because I was happy to help Jonah out and keen to hear his new music. Of course, upon hearing the music I realised I'd been optimistic in how this would turn out. I got screwed, these things happen.

And I think that's the worst thing - I have two copies of this album. On paper you might think an army of musicians might be able to put something listenable on the second LP, but ultimately they're still the same songs and you'd be wrong (I just wrote something way worse, but had to censor myself. Turns out it's hard to not be a negative arse-hole when you don't actually like the album. I'm looking forward to writing about records I can get excited about again). I still, in theory, like the concept here but would prefer to see it executed on 10 different songs. Any 10 songs other than these. The version of Happy-Hee is just fucking painful.

Here's another terrible thing - I've not played this album in at least a year and a half. The last time was when I put the mp3s on my player and listened to them on the way to The Peel for a gig (evidence I really did try). By the time I got to the venue I'd pretty much lost all my faith in music and the bands had to work pretty hard to revive that. I've seen Jonah live since so I know he is still a great musician. Unfortunately the stain on his solo career is sat on two records and a cd in my collection.

So I apologise once again for having nothing nice to say, but saying things anyway. If you're a Jonah fan and you love this album, I don't think any less of you for doing so - it's just not for me. If you played on the album, I'm sorry (unless you contributed towards Happy-Hee. Jesus wept). If you're not familiar with Jonah's music but you've read this far anyway, then please do check him out. His live albums are especially excellent and a great starting point. Just don't start here.


Format: double 12", cd
Tracks: 20
Cost: £40 new
Bought: Website
When: 16/07/11
Colour: Clear and transparent orange
Etching: none
mp3s: CD