Monday 18 June 2012

The Magnificent - 1981


I've not seen The Magnificent yet, just Jimmy Islip on his own a few times. He's always good live and his songs were arguably my highlight on the split with Chuck Ragan, Sam Russo and Helen Chambers. The last time I saw him was in The Windmill with Digger Barnes and Cynics, and I picked up this 7". I couldn't quite decide which one to get (always tricky) but opted for 1981 in the end.

The A-side is pretty good, the guitars remind me a bit of (very) early Manics and there's a nice catchy chorus too. I had no idea what to expect when I played it having not listened to them before, but I enjoyed it. I like the second song even more, the use of the different vocals is great and the acoustic strum works brilliantly.

They have an LP out now that I keep meaning to pick up. Apparently this is how is used to work "back in the day": you'd buy the 7" and it makes you want to buy the album. I can't think of many other times that's happened.


Format: 7"
Tracks: 2
Cost: £3 new
Bought: Gig
When: 24/01/12
Colour: White
Etching: no
mp3s: no