Thursday 16 May 2013

Against Me! - Against Me! as the Eternal Cowboy


I've been playing this record a lot over the last few days. Usually when I'm after a fix of Against Me! I put on Reinventing Axl Rose because it's an incredible record and I know that I'm going to spend the next half an hour singing along to some great songs. The same can be said for this record, but I've only really realised that the last few days.

A friend of mine is a huge fan of Against Me! and put a picture up on Facebook the other day of his iTunes most played songs. These 11 songs made up the top 11 places (each with 80+ plays), with some other Against Me! songs taking up a further seven places of the top 20. I was surprised that there were no Reinventing Axl Rose songs in there, but Matt has been listening to Against Me! for almost as long as I've known him, so he probably played that album to death in 2002. Anyway, it made me think about this record, so I pulled it out of the racks and it's been on the turntable quite a lot since.

I bought this album in Generation Records in New York on my second visit (the first had only been two days before, but I decided I'd seen enough sights and wanted to buy more vinyl). I'd bought the first album about nine months earlier and loved it, so figured it was worth trying another one. I liked it from the start, but somehow I didn't connect with the songs as well as I did with those on Axl Rose, which is probably why I always put that album on instead. For me, the highlights are all on the A-side: T.S.R., Sink, Florida, Sink and Slurring the Rhythms, although Turn Those Clapping Hands... is a good tune too.

So, all in all, another record that I've under-appreciated but hopefully won't any more.


Format: 12", gatefold sleeve
Tracks: 11
Cost: £5.42 new
Bought: Generation Records, New York
When: 13/04/08
Colour: Black
Etching: Side B: "I think ya'll might be accessorizing your lifestyle a little too uniformly"
mp3s: no