Friday 31 May 2013

Shores - To Volstead


I don't have a lot to say about this record, sorry. I wrote (at length) about how I got into Shores on this blog post about their debut Coup de Grace. I bought both records at the same time after seeing the band (the conversation with the merch guy went like this - Me: "Which Shores album should I get?", Him: "You can have both for $15") so there's not much to say about that either.

My lack of anything interesting to say isn't a reflection of how much I like the album. It's good. So is their third, which I picked up more recently. If I'm craving some Shores I can put on any of their albums and get fairly equal enjoyment from them all. I played Coup de Grace a lot more at first, but that was intentional; I'd come back from Florida with a lot of records and knew I'd never get into them all properly if I didn't spread out the first listens. Humoring and Beau Monde are both stand-out songs here.

The LP came with a download code and, amusingly, the genre is listed as "Bummercore". However, listen to the start of Faith Hill and you'll be tempted to agree ("I am Hamlet, and everyone dies"). Still, there's their usual slow-build-up / slow-but-heavy-outro going on in a lot of the songs and it's a winning combination. I definitely enjoyed them more live than on record, but I'd still recommend all three of their albums.

Format: 12", insert
Tracks: 11
Cost: £4.62 new
Bought: Fest
When: 27/10/11
Colour: Black
Etching: Side A: "Future bread" Side B: "Pastry mistakes"
mp3s: Download code