Friday 3 May 2013

Pitch Shifter - The Remix War


I'm not sure whether this record counts as a mini-album, an EP or a 12" single. Seven songs puts it in the first group, but the fact that there are only four different songs makes it seem more like an EP, but then almost half the songs are remixes of Triad, so are we really just looking at a single? Luckily, none of this actually matters; I was just struggling for an opening paragraph.

I bought this on eBay at the end of my first year of university. I'd got into eBay in a big way over the year and half before that and it was proving useful in fleshing out my Pitchshifter collection (living in halls-of-residence and eBay went perfectly together, because there was always someone to receive your post). A great bargain, I got this 12" for £3 including postage. The bidding must have finished at £1, which makes me suspect I was the only one bidding on it. It's not in great condition but, of the albums they had out at the time, it was the only one I didn't have on at least one format and I wanted to hear it.

Four of the songs are remixed by Pitchshifter themselves (or Pitch Shifter, as they were known then) with Therapy?, Gunshot and Biohazard remixing one song each. All of the songs are from Desensitized and the two best songs, Triad and Diable make up most of the mixes here. To Die is Gain was a pretty decent song too and this mix is nice. The best songs here are the mixes by the other guys though - Therapy? make Diable sound like a Therapy? song and Biohazard almost seem to slow Triad down. However, the most interesting is Gunshot's 90's hip-hop take on Triad which works brilliantly. I could definitely go for more hip-hop remixes of early Pitch Shifter.


Format: 12", insert
Tracks: 7
Cost: £3 second hand
Bought: eBay
When: 08/06/04
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: no