Wednesday 22 May 2013

Turbonegro - Hot Cars and Spent Contraceptives


Despite my usual love for Turbonegro, I've always struggled with their debut Hot Cars and Spent Contraceptives. The sound is much rougher and, whilst the hints of death-punk are there, it's more standard hardcore/punk than they would be on Ass Cobra and Apocalypse Dudes. It's a good punk-rock record, but  when I get the urge to listen to Turbonegro, this record isn't usually what I'm after. Still, it has some decent tunes, the semi-title-track Hot Cars being one of the best (the drums on which always remind me of Therapy?, who in turn cover Turbo on Alpha Motherfuckers).

I bought this in Punker Bunker shortly before returning to Lancaster for the last year of university. I'd been getting into Turbonegro for a few months at this point but didn't know their earliest records had been quite so different. The album has had an interesting print history (as do a lot of Turbo's earlier records) and was orginally re-released with this extended track-list, along with another song, as Helta Skelta. Blitzcore then released this version in 2000. I've always found it strange the way the bonus tracks are scattered throughout the album (tracks 2, 3, 10 and 11), but given the fact that the vast majority of people will own this version or Helta Skelta it might as well be considered the standard track-listing.


Format: 12", insert
Tracks: 14
Cost: £10 new
Bought: Punker Bunker, Brighton
When: 16/09/06
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: no