Saturday 11 May 2013

Caves - Concert a Paris


I was thinking the other day about how long it's been since I last saw Caves. I think the last time might have been last summer - it was in The Fighting Cocks and I bought a t-shirt which I managed to lose almost straight away in all the mess of moving house. I don't think I've seen them since then. They've probably played London in that time, but if they did I missed it. Maybe I was away. Anyway, this record is quenching my thirst for Caves very nicely today.

Back in January, Caves put an offer up on their website of this live LP and their two cds (Homeward Bound and Collection) for a tenner. I'd seen this record about and thought about buying it before then, and I didn't yet have a copy of Collection. I'd bought the LP of Homeward Bound a while beforehand (and wrote about it in an early post for this blog - see here) but was happy to get the cd too so that I'd have a decent copy of the mp3s. The parcel arrived quickly and included a hand-written note of thanks from the band, which was a nice touch (which, re-reading now, tells me they have indeed played London recently and I was away at the time).

The record is very nice and features all my favourite Caves songs. Once again, I'm Not Sorry and Water Wings are my favourites, although Desperate Times Call for Double Measures (from the Sundials split 7") and 200 Miles (from the Collection cd) are excellent too. The sound is pretty good too. As a package, someone has put some effort in to make it a nice one - the vinyl is orange and goes well with the black-and-orange photos on the sleeve (and we all agree that black sleeves for the record itself look much cooler than white ones). On top of that, there's a 20-page book of photos from the gig inside too. Nice stuff all round.


Format: 12", 20-page book
Tracks: 11
Cost: £7 new
Bought: band's website
When: 10/01/13
Colour: Orange
Etching: none
mp3s: no