Friday 31 May 2013

Lemuria - The First Collection


This is my favourite Lemuria LP, and I say that not in a "their earlier stuff was better" way but just because it has the largest number of my favourite Lemuria songs on it. And given that there's 18 songs it's no wonder really. Certainly Keep Quiet, The Origamists and Home for the Holidays would all be in my top-five Lemuria songs, if I ever had to make such a list (putting them in order is an even bigger task). The latter two really make the most of Alex and Sheena's different voices and Home for the Holidays was an instant favourite. Strangely, Keep Quiet plays before Rough Draft despite what the sleeve says.

I bought this LP on my first-ever trip to Banquet Records in Kingston. I'd bought Banquet's cd release of Lemuria's first proper album Get Better in Spillers a year beforehand, but didn't tie the two things together until I was in the shop that day (I'd only just found out that the shop even existed at this point and probably hadn't looked at the back of my Lemuria cd in those few days). I bought a lot of records on that first trip (something you can read more about here) and I'd heard good things of this record. I also bought a Dave House cd that day, who we'd seen supporting Lemuria when they played in Swansea; I had no idea that he worked in the shop at that point. Anyway, this is the Yo-Yo Records release on black vinyl.


Format: 12", insert
Tracks: 18
Cost: £9 new
Bought: Banquet Records, Kingston
When: 18/01/10
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: no