Wednesday 8 May 2013

The Raconteurs - Broken Boy Soldier


When I wrote about The Raconteurs' debut album Broken Boy Soldiers I commented on how incredible they'd been live that summer and how disappointing I thought the album was. All the energy I'd been amazed by was gone, and that was a real shame. This single, however, serves to remind me how great it really was and that it wasn't just my mind playing tricks on me.

Here we have a live version of Broken Boy Soldier and a session recording of Blue Veins, both of which are exactly what I wanted the album to be. The former is brilliantly raw and ferocious and the later is piano-led and very enjoyable.

I just had a browse of The Raconteurs on Discogs and it turns out they released a bunch of their early live shows as cds, which seem worth hunting down. Unfortunately, since Jack White is involved, they're all super-rare and crazy-expensive. Still, I'm pretty sure they'd be excellent to hear.


Format: 7"
Tracks: 2
Cost: £0.90 new
Bought: HMV Lancaster
When: 30/10/06
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: no