Friday 17 May 2013

Kyuss + Slo Burn - Live at The Marquee-Club / Amusing the Amazing


I don't normally bother with bootleg records like this one, but a number of factors led to me buying it in April 2011:

1) I was in London and due to meet a friend a bit later. I had some time to kill so headed to Selectadisc (Sister Ray) to browse the records. That place is usually too expensive for my liking, and most of the new releases were about £20. I browsed for ages and the only record I could find that wasn't stupidly expensive and that I kinda wanted was this one.

2) I'd been thinking not long beforehand about how ridiculous it was that I didn't have any Kyuss vinyl. When I lived in Australia their LPs were fairly easy to find (I've not seen them in shops since) and I regret not buying them then (my record buying budget was much smaller back then). The JB Hi-fi in Canberra even had the Muchas Gracias best-of record, which I still don't own. Back in those days the idea of ever seeing any band that even remotely resembled Kyuss was wishful thinking, and I remember thinking it would be cool to hear the four live songs on that record. Since the four songs here are those live songs, I figured this record would make me regret not buying the LPs a bit less. It does. These songs are great, especially Gardenia, which was always one of my favourite Kyuss songs. Freedom Run is ace too.

3) Kyuss Lives were playing a month later and I was even more excited about Kyuss than I am normally (I'll save the usual how-I-started-listening-to rant for another time; I hope to buy the LPs one day, so I'll write it then). I saw the second night of the two London Kyuss Lives shows and it more than satisfied by need to see Kyuss live. For me, so much of Kyuss is in John Garcia's voice that I didn't mind Josh Homme being absent. The gig was incredible and I head-banged solidly for a hour and a bit. I've never missed having long hair so much.

4) On the B-side were four songs by Slo Burn, who I knew nothing about. Wikipedia filled in the gaps after I bought it. I like it but, like I said, I love John Garcia's voice, so it was going to be a winner. I bought a Hermano record a few years back and get equal enjoyment out of that. If these four songs had been on a 12" and someone told me John Garcia was singing, I'd have probably paid £11 for them alone. I certainly like them enough to have done so. It's also worth noting that I probably would never have a copy of these songs if it wasn't for this record.

5) It's on a nice clear vinyl.

6) The fact that the label is called "No Man's Ruin" amused me.

So, all those things coming together led to me buying this record. I then went to meet my friend (in North London; I rarely venture up there) and we went out for some beers. It turned into a fairly messy night and I ended up sleeping on his sofa. Luckily the record survived the night unharmed.


Format: 12", a4 insert
Tracks: 8
Cost: £11 new
Bought: Selectadisc, London
When: 12/03/11
Colour: Clear
Etching: none
mp3s: no