Thursday 17 May 2012

And So I Watch You From Afar - Gangs


I bought this record after seeing ASIWYFA for the first time. It was in the Scala on the second night of their tour and they had blown me away. I'd listened to the first album on bandcamp beforehand and thought I knew what to expect, but I was wrong. I'd figured it'd be an evening of mathy-post-rock; instead it was all-out-riffy-as-fuck-party-post-rock, and I was amazed.

Sarah had been ranting about them from the off, but I missed a few chances to see them. When a friend raves adoringly about a band it's usually worth at least checking them out, especially when you respect their music taste (and sometimes even if you don't). She'd probably said the first LP isn't a patch on their live shows, which can be said for this one too. But that's only because their live show was incredible and no one can ever quite capture that on record. This record does come close though. The adrenaline comes through, and some of the tunes are so massive it would be impossible for them not to sound good. I think it was just that the live show was so awesome.

And this is a great record. The opener gets the blood pumping within seconds, and the only rest comes when you have to turn it over. 7 Billion People All Alive At Once is my highlight, the first ever vocals adding so much (still no actual words). I've used it as an opener to mixtapes a number of times. Side 2 doesn't disappoint at all either. The triple gatefold sleeve is pretty lovely too. A great record from an even better live band.


Format: 12", triple gatefold sleeve, insert
Tracks: 8
Cost: £15 new
Bought: gig
When: 03/05/11
Colour: black
Etching: none
mp3s: download