Tuesday 8 May 2012

Apologies I Have None - London


We're five and a bit months into the year now, so the comment I'm about to make should carry some weight: this is my favourite record of the year so far. Hands down. (Although it is worth saying that the new Above Them record hasn't arrived in the post yet.) I apologise in advance for the gushing praise I have for this album.

I knew I was going to love this one before it came out. I rarely get really excited about new releases anymore. I look forward to them, but that doesn't sum up the excitement I had for this one. For some reason I hadn't seen them until the Calvinball/ONSIND/AIHN split release show, despite having known the name for some time. Their cover of ONSIND's Either He's Dead... amazed me (more on this when I come to talk about that record) and the other songs were perfect. I do enjoy it when everyone in the band sings at once, and even more when the crowd join in too. That was the first time I heard Sat in Vicky Park, a song that I still can't get enough of.

In fact, that kind of sums up my feelings towards the album as a whole. I just can't get enough of it. I've played it over and over again since I got it. I'm not sure what it is about it (although it might be the massive choruses). I'm almost beginning to worry I'm over playing it and I'll get sick of it, but that hasn't happened yet. All the songs are brilliant. I wasn't that into The 26 or the piano-led Foundations at first, but the latter has grown on me and seeing the former live has convinced me. And I love that the songs work equally well as punk, metal, or acoustic songs.

I pre-ordered the album (in my excitement) so it came with a lovely screen-printed poster/map in an envelope with my name on and sealed in wax. To say I was impressed by that is an understatement. I do enjoy little touches like that (not to mention the cd copy included). I've had some bad luck with pre-ordering lately (as mentioned, my Above Them record seems to have been eaten by the postal service, and my Cursive record meant I didn't get the other stuff I ordered until it could all be posted at once) but this one arrived a day early, so it was worth it.

I'm pleased that this record turned out so well and that they've been getting great reviews for it. There are a lot of great bands in the UK punk scene and it's really nice to see them all doing great things. This record is one of those great things.


Format: 12", gatefold sleeve, cd sized booklet, poster
Tracks: 10
Cost: £13 new
Bought: Band's website
When: 12/03/12
Colour: Black
Etching: none
mp3s: cd